Picture of Megan Twining
Academic Honesty and Consequences
by Megan Twining - Friday, 19 April 2013, 06:34 AM

Dear Task Force,

Here you will see the changes to the Handbook on the area of academic honesty.  In addition... I am pasting here the Academic Honesty Policy again.  Ih has already passed the Board vote, so this will remain unchanged, but if you have comments about the attached Handbook language, they are welcome :)

NEW* Academic Honesty Policy

Academic honesty is a crucial element in AISV’s learning environment.  Cheating and plagiarism of any kind will not be tolerated at any level in the school.  All students, parents, and staff will be required to read, understand and practice the information detailed in the AISV Handbooks referring to academic honesty. AISV also recognizes and adopts the IB Diploma Program academic honesty guidelines.

Any violations of Academic Honesty Policy will bear severe consequences, up to and including expulsion. The details of academic honesty expectations and corresponding consequences are found in the Student/Parent Handbook, which is reviewed and approved by the Board annually.

Picture of Angela Lee
Re: Academic Honesty and Consequences
by Angela Lee - Friday, 19 April 2013, 08:09 AM

I like this policy, the bulleted points of what entails cheating and plagiarism is very readable for students. I also like the addition of the middle school policy. The English teachers don't start teaching proper MLA citation until grade 8 (simplified in 6/7th) so if the other subject teachers want students to cite things in a particular way in middle school then they need to teach it to them first. 

Picture of Kostas Bogdanas
by Kostas Bogdanas - Friday, 19 April 2013, 09:31 AM

MLA citation is also taught in Grade 5 in Technology as part of Digital Citizenship, and Library; the previous IT teacher deviated from the established curriculum and current 7/8 graders didn't study this under him.
Picture of Megan Twining
by Megan Twining - Thursday, 25 April 2013, 04:08 PM

Thank you both for your support.  We will be taking this Policy amendment to the Board at the May 14th meeting for approval :)  

Fingers crossed!

Skip Navigation

Navigation